Friday, January 9, 2009

Chew Once and Swallow: Advice for Eating in Africa

Don't get me wrong-- I love the food here. Rice and fish 24/7! (Except for breakfast when we get bread with chocolate spread and bad instant coffee.) I love it!!! But there are times when you're sitting there thinking "I don't know what this part of this animal is, but I think it's better not to ask..." To make matters worse, the Senegalese have this tendency to just identify things as "viande" which means "meat." So even if you ask, "So, um, what is this?" they will smile and answer "Du Viande!" So, as a guy who lived here last year advised us all, "There are some meals where you need to just chew once and swallow."

Anyway, I'm not complaining-- it's a fairly rare occurrence and I am sitting here typing in beautiful 80 degree weather. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahhaa. sounds interesting. I'm glad you got there safely. its funny that you're eating all these exotic foods getting along fine. while i had a chicken sandwich and vegetables here at college and got food poisoning. terrible!

anyways. i loved your pictures on facebook. made me super jealous.

j-dub said...

Reminds me of a friend telling stories from Ghana. Apparently, there you don't want to ask what the "jungle meat" is.